Tuesday 7 October 2014

A Letter from the Literary Squarson

I have always collected old postcards, letters, photos and the such like. I love finding old bus and train tickets, or newspaper clippings, inside antiquarian books too. I'm always rummaging about, looking for another interesting tidbit for my collection of paper lovelies. Anyway, not long ago I came across this letter, written by the author of A Book of Ghosts, Sabine Baring-Gould.

It was written in purple ink, at Baring-Gould's family home, Lew Trenchard Manor, on the 20th of July 1882, in response to a request for a photograph of the well-known literary squarson. It reads:
'I think you can get a photograph from Mr. Walker, Margaret St., Cavendish Sqr. London; he took me some years ago, & I have not been done since, nor have I any of his photos by me, or you should have one & welcome. I do not know even whether he still has the old plate.'
The letter was posted on the 21st of July 1882, and sent to J. T. Baron Esq, of 48 Griffin St., Wilton, Blackburn. The envelope has a purple penny postage stamp (stuck on upside-down, so the queen is standing on her head) and a Lewdon postmark.


No comments:

Post a Comment